Circular Economy Transition: The Role of Cities and Local Authorities
13 Sep 2022, 12:00-14:00
Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council organises this webinar as the first local authority in Ireland to join the European Circular Cities Declaration. The European Circular Cities Declaration is a commitment from cities and regions across Europe, to enhance efforts to transition from a linear to a circular economy.
A circular economy is a model of production and consumption, which involves sharing, reusing, repairing, refurbishing and recycling existing materials and products as long as possible.
Did you know that:
- 62% of global greenhouse emissions are released during the extraction, processing and manufacturing of goods;
- Only 9% of materials globally are reused;
- Resource demand has more than tripled since 1970 and could double again by 2050 - demand imbalance already being felt; and
- Limiting global warming to 1.5̊C above pre-industrial levels can only be achieved through a circular economy.
The key note speaker at the webinar will be Ossian Smyth TD, Minister of State at the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform, who will speak on the adopted Circular Economy and Miscellaneous Provisions Act 2022. Other speakers include:
- Simon Clement, Senior Co-ordinator, Circular Economy, Sustainable Economy and Procurement, ICLEI European Secretariat
- Joana Oliveira, Economic Development Division, Albergaria-a-Velha Municipality, Portugal
- Kathrine Overgaard Warberg, Head of Program for Circular Copenhagen, City of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Vojtech Vosecky, Circle Economy and Chair of the Steering Group for Circular Economy, City of Prague, Czech Republic
Register here free of charge