Achieving Circularity in Local and Regional Food Systems Development
16 Nov 2023, 16:00-17:30
The Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development (JAFSCD) has drafted a call for papers entitled “Community-Based Circular Food Systems: Meeting current and future food needs through local and regional food systems development,” which can be found here. Papers in response to the call will be published in a special issue of JAFSCD.
In advance of the call JAFSCD will be conducting a workshop with circularity experts who will address three important questions:
- How can or should circularity be defined in the context of local and regional food systems development?
- What are the critical issues for localizing and regionalizing food systems circularity that emphasize social justice and community health and well-being, while minimizing waste and protecting shared natural resources?
- How can these goals be achieved together through circularity?
- María Alonso Martínez, Junior Officer, Circular Development, ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability (Germany)
- Dr. Michael Kotutwa Johnson (Hopi), Assistant Specialist, Indigenous Resiliency Center, University of Arizona (USA)
- Felipe Cozim Melges, PhD Candidate, Farming Systems Ecology group, Wageningen University (Brazil and Netherlands)
Host: Duncan Hilchey, Editor-in-chief, Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development (USA)
Facilitator: Dr. Jacob Park, Associate Professor, Vermont State University, Castleton Campus (USA) and Visiting Professor, University of Johannesburg (South Africa)
Interested? Register here! The workshop aims to be interactive. Participants' input will be used to finalise the call for papers.